As I watched this video it became very apparent to me that the world thrives on the Internet and many peoples entire lives are able to be found and tracked in one form or another via the Internet.
This means that the entire world of Public Relations is changing and definitely needs to do so. It is no longer a career that is spent on pencil and paper. It requires expanding onto social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter, as well as blogs such as this one. The "Web 2.0", as it is referred to, is the "now" of public relations as well as the near future.
Web 2.0 is an exciting new chapter in the industry. It has opened up new avenues that no one could have ever dreamed of so few years ago. It no longer takes a professional web designer to set up a web page. It has become so simplistic that with a little bit of training it can be done by anyone who is willing.
Simply put, the Internet is what we make it, and it is our canvas to create whatever we see fit. Why not take advantage of this incredible tool and use it to our advantage. Web 2.0 has launched the world of PR into the next stage and will carry through until the next revolutionary chapter begins unfolding.
Nicely put. I like how you've pointed out the advantages of Web 2.0 instead of being overwhelmed by it, or seeing the negatives. It's refreshing.
ReplyDeleteI like that you made the Internet a positive tool. We have this communication tool literally at our fingertips and we have to use it to our advantage.
ReplyDeleteJena, I really liked your ending statements. The internet is what we make it, and it is our canvas to create whatever we see fit. I definitely think we should take advantage of the Web. I worry though that there are people out there who will take advantage of the Internet for harmful purposes. I wish people didn’t take advantage of such a great tool for reasons to hurt others, yet I know there are always people out there who will ruin things for the rest of us.
ReplyDeleteI also liked how you mentioned how important Facebook and Twitter have become for social networking for students like us. I have realized this semester especially how important it is to get your name out there. I appreciate that there are tools like Twitter or blogs that can help us to find jobs or careers.
I agree with you, why not take advantage. I do think that we still need to remember everything we learned from grade school when it comes to writing. The vast technology is becoming more high tech and were making it such a tool that it will be the most dependable item well use.
ReplyDeleteKatie, you are absolutely right. I may not be taking this the way you meant it but we do need to remember everything we learned in grade school. I have seen so often, especially from juniors and seniors in my own high school, students who no longer seem to know how to write or spell properly; maybe they just don't care anymore. But it makes me very disappointed to see how much technology, especially texting and instant messaging has seemed to "dumb down" what we know how to do. I even had one family friend express her concerns to me about her daughter being able to pass the writing portion of the ACT's. Her concern was because her daughter will write letters and emails using shortened versions of words as well as acronyms for everything possible. It just makes me a bit sad to realize how many kids do that in daily writing.
ReplyDeleteI like the canvas/tools terms--writing in every form is an art/labor depending on the author and message.
ReplyDeleteJena: As the number of people who can write clearly, concisely and accurately decreases, demand for professionals like our student will increase. That's why we stress the fundamentals. Good post. You spurred on nice commentary and remembered to answer those who took the time to leave a comment.
ReplyDelete